Many people do not consider comprehensive sexuality education, contraception and safe pregnancies and births to be a matter of course. The Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Alliance, consisting five NGOs, AMREF flying doctors, CHOICE for Youth and Sexuality, dance4life, Rutgers WPF and Simavi, works with 52 organisations in 9 countries to address these areas. Together, they are making a difference.
Unite for Body Rights
The SRHR Alliance implements the programme Unite for Body Rights in the period 2011 till 2015. Rutgers WPF is the lead agent. The Unite for Body Rights Programme is a substantial programme (44 mln. Euro) financed by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The programme supports partner organisations in Asia (Bangladesh, India, Indonesia and Pakistan) and Africa (Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Uganda and Tanzania) improving the sexual and reproductive health and rights of young people, women and marginalized groups. This Alliance will be able to reach a total of approximately 2.5 million people in Africa and Asia. Read the Annual Report 2011.
The cooperating organisations contribute to three of the eight Millennium Goals that have been internationally agreed upon:
- Promote gender equality and empower women (Millennium Goal 3);
- Decrease maternal death and improve access to contraception (Millennium Goal 5);
- Combat HIV/AIDS (Millennium Goal 6).
The programme of the SRHR Alliance adheres to the following objectives:
- Increase the use of contraceptives, also among young people;
- Increase use and quality of mother- and childcare services;
- Improvement of quality and range of sexuality education, in and out of school;
- Combat (sexual) violence against women;
- Increase acceptance of different sexual orientations.
Focus of Rutgers WPF
Rutgers WPF aims at the following within the SRHR Alliance:
- Effective implementation of interventions;
- Young people’s capacity building in research, monitoring and evaluation;
- Discussing sexual rights, sexual violence and sexual diversity;
- Extensive sexuality education;
- International advocacy.